Why I am here

This blog was started to connect with and keep family and friends up to date on life in Texas as I know it. A place to share my love for this area through photography, history, and stories of this adventure Shaun and I call life.... and what an adventure it is!
Warning: Some or all of this blog may contain nuts or stories of nuts, proceed with caution
Love to y'all

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Turtle soup?

This morning the dogs were going crazy in the back yard. When I went outside Annie kept running up to me then back to the other dogs then to me...my first thought was "what is it Lassie, is Timmy in the well?". (60's flashback) Annie gets so intense when she wants my attention, I swear one day she is just going to talk! Such a funny girl.
Anyway, when I walked around the corner and saw the dogs acting like they were cautious but curious of whatever was in the grass my second thought was " crap it's a snake and Shaun isn't home". Thankfully it was just a turtle!


Very thankful it was NOT a snapping turtle since Molly kept getting way too up close and personal with the poor thing. Imagine a nose that size coming at you??


Riker is SUCH a sissy (okay very cautious) when it comes to new things. He can take a huge bull down by the nose but is very worried about a turtle.....go figure.
See in the bottom right of the picture, that is Annie's feet and nose, she is playing it safe until Riker has checked it out. She likes her new adventures from a distance...send the guys in first to see if it's safe. Truth is she probably just doesn't want her picture taken with Riker while he is acting like a sissy! Ha!


Excuse me sir you have red dirt in your toenails.....legs....feet...whatever that is..

Our backyard is fenced with wrought iron so I am not sure how he got into the yard. I am sure there is some great story there about how it flew in from Dallas with the tornados and rain of yesterday, but I will leave that to your imagination. For now I think the poor thing is just happy to be back in and around the pond.
It was fun (for me) to get up close and personal.


Aren't the markings on their shells amazing!
And just a little FYI, turtles really can move fast! Once I carried him down across the fence near the pond and he knew the dogs couldn't get him he really scooted! SO very cool to watch

Love to all
Jeanne
P.S. I have no idea how to tell the gender of a turtle, but have determined since
A. It was lost and B. it needed the assistance of a woman to get it back where it belonged that it was a HE. Rebuttals will not be accepted on this subject, HE is what HE is and should be thankful HE isn't turtle soup *wink*
Posted using BlogPress from Jeanne's iPad

4 comments:

  1. Thank you God no more Turtle soup, my favourite pet they are such funny little things, to sex them turn them over the male has a concaved shell underneith the female is of course convex love them mine use to try and eat my sarong untill I thought ahhh its a green sarong so maybe they see colour also, but they do hibernate ours would dig a hole and bury himself till next year so maybe yout turtle if he or she likes water , Tortoise if they love dry land has just come out of hibernation , but please dont give them iceburg lettuce not healthy for them they love melon and fruit looks like a water turtle by there markings to me what ever they are I know you will love them xx Joycee against Turtle Soup !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People here say it is a slider turtle. We have several that live in and around our pond. Just not sure how he got under the fence and up to the house. We put him down by the pond and he has disappeared. I may try leaving them a fruit snack and see if we can get them to come around.
      There is a fence between the pond and the yard so the dogs can't bother them.
      I love all of my new neighbors ;-)

      Delete
  2. what fun to find a turtle in your yard! Glad you survived last night. Maybe instead of raining cats and dogs it was raining turtles. ha ha. Good picture of his shell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! I love living in the country.

      Delete