Why I am here

This blog was started to connect with and keep family and friends up to date on life in Texas as I know it. A place to share my love for this area through photography, history, and stories of this adventure Shaun and I call life.... and what an adventure it is!
Warning: Some or all of this blog may contain nuts or stories of nuts, proceed with caution
Love to y'all

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Cow Paths and Cameras in Boston Day1

Our trip to Boston was fabulous! Here is a recap of Day 1.
After surviving security (see blogpost Surviving Security) at DFW I arrived in Boston late afternoon. I picked up my rental car and headed into the city. At this point I was feeling pretty smart. The night before, I had downloaded a Map Quest app for my iPad and preprogrammed in the hotel address. All that was left was to turn it on and listen my way to the hotel. Long story short.... my 15 minute trip to the hotel took 45 minutes. The directionally challenged MQ voice just could not comprehend Boston's street system. Boston streets are not laid out in "grids". They seem to just meander and change names and directions at will. ~~Side note....While I was finding my way around I was amazed at how friendly the Boston drivers were, they frequently honked and waved at me, as if to welcome me to Boston, how nice. *wink*~~
I would find out later that the street system in Boston was created by using the old cow paths, they just paved them, aaahhhh it all makes sense now. Technology has met it's match! The MQ app has been deleted.

This is one of the first things you see when you come out of the tunnel from the airport. I took this with my cell out the car window while sitting in traffic...sorry


It is the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge, and is one of the widest cable-stayed bridges in the world. The Bridge serves as the northern entrance to and exit from Boston. The Bridge is named after civil rights activist Lenny Zakim and the American colonists who fought the British in the Battle of Bunker Hill. Very cool!
Here is a better picture


It was taken by Andy Ryan Photography of Boston
Stunning!
Colleen was still in business meetings when I got to the hotel so I decided to take a walk in Boston's beautiful Beacon Hill area.
I anxiously unpacked my camera. That's when I discovered my lens had been crunched in transit (panic) my camera didn't work with it on (PANIC)!!! Tomorrow we would be touring Boston and doing it with no camera made me....well....panic. I immediately started searching online for camera shops in Boston. Did I mention panic??
( I am very happy to say we found a great camera store the next day, bought a new lens and to my relief the camera wasn't damaged, hallelujah!)

Colleen soon arrived at the hotel and we went back to the airport to pick up Pat. With Colleen as the navigator and the help of "Babbs" the voice on her phones VZNavigator we made it back to the hotel in record time! Thank you Babbs! BOO MQ!


Beautiful Beacon Hill


I can't wait to share the rest of our trip. I have decided to break it up in days and locations or it would be a HUGE boring blog post.

Day 2 we will tour Boston and Salem. Then we head down to Plymouth to our beautiful Bed and Breakfast for the remainder of our stay.
Can't wait to share
Jeanne
Posted by Jeanne from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment