Why I am here

This blog was started to connect with and keep family and friends up to date on life in Texas as I know it. A place to share my love for this area through photography, history, and stories of this adventure Shaun and I call life.... and what an adventure it is!
Warning: Some or all of this blog may contain nuts or stories of nuts, proceed with caution
Love to y'all

Friday, November 11, 2011

The Piano

On our recent trip to Colorado we stayed at my Mom and Bill's house for a couple of days. What a treat to find out that one of their good friends daughter Maria was coming over that first morning of our visit to practice on the piano.  She is a very gifted music student. 
While I was in the back room listening to her play I couldn't help but think of  how pleased my Grandmother would be to hear the music and see such young talented hands play her piano. 
I have very fond memories of my Grandma trying to teach me to play, but remember taking more of an interest in the pictures sitting on top of the piano (imagine that) than in the piano itself.  For me then, it wasn't about learning to play, it was about sitting next to my Grandma on that bench, smelling her perfumed powder, while she hummed and tried patiently to explain what key did what while pointing to a red leaflet of sheet music called "Teaching Little Fingers to Play".  That red leaflet of sheet music is still in the piano bench.  What a sweet memory.

Some of the best memories are made from the simplist things.

A little about the piano itself.  This is what my mom wrote
 "The piano is a Kimball and was made in Chicago. It was shipped to Baker on the Milwaukee Railroad in 1912-14 to Grandma and Grandpa Speelmon. The shipping tag is still on the back but I can't move the heavy thing out to see for sure. Either way it will soon be 100 years old. Mom didn't have it at her house until she moved into the trailer down by their house.
I brought it to Vernal the summer Kirby graduated. We still have it tuned every year and it is in excellent condition after Bill refinished it.
We are so glad Maria can come and play it because it is so good for it to "really be played" which Bill and I are not good at."


One hundred years, can you imagine what this piano has been a part of?  I can see people gathered around it to celebrate and hear Christmas music, happy birthday wishes, sing alongs, church hymns, songs of war and sadness, songs of joy and hope, soothing melodies that comfort the soul.  Generations of children learning to play or simply just "playing" on Grandma's piano.  
The piano I remember as a child held a place of honor in my Grandmother Isabelle Speelmon North's home in Baker, Montana.   A photo of her father, my great grandfather, always sat on top it.  

The refinish/restoration work that Bill did on the piano is amazing.  He is so very talented, his attention to detail and hard work is incredible.  Thank you so much Bill for preserving a piece of our family history and one of my favorite memories. Love you

Thank you Maria for your talent and your kindness to my Mom and Bill.  My Grandmother would be so touched to hear her mother's piano played so beautifully.

Some of the fondest memories are made from the simplist things.

Today I am thankful for the memories of my grandmother.  What an incredible, strong, amazing woman.
Last night I participated in an Alzhiemers Memory walk in honor of my Grandmother, Shaun's Grandma Davis and Bobbi's mother Genola.  It was so very touching to see people sharing memories of the people they love, the people who have been touched by this cruel disease. 
Love and miss you all
Jeanne

No comments:

Post a Comment