Why I am here

This blog was started to connect with and keep family and friends up to date on life in Texas as I know it. A place to share my love for this area through photography, history, and stories of this adventure Shaun and I call life.... and what an adventure it is!
Warning: Some or all of this blog may contain nuts or stories of nuts, proceed with caution
Love to y'all

Monday, November 12, 2012

Strength

This blog post has been rolling around in my head, and my heart, for the past couple of days.  What I want to convey seems simple enough, but as most of you know I speak through pictures not words. Hope my message gets through.

Last weekend I attended a Sweet Sixteen birthday party with 6 giggling 14-16 year old girls.  Junk food, games, silliness, more junk food, silly pictures, boy talk, all the slumber party stuff with one major difference....  The majority of the girls at this party are or have been fighting serious life threatening illness.  I am not sure what I expected, but as I listened to them talk giggle I realized that what we see as pain and illness they take with a grain of salt.  In between the junk food and the games, they casually mentioned their blood levels, temperatures, Doctors etc. Everyone stepped over and around the oxygen lines strung on the floor as if they weren't there.   No panic, no drama, just nonchalant life as they know it.   
I was so touched by their strength and their commitment to each other and their families.  There were friends there from out of town they had met at camp, someone they had met at therapy, all bound by the same thing, illness.  They showed concern for other people who couldn't be there.  There was no poor me, no petty mean girl stuff, no judgement, just compassion and caring for one another. Teenage girls wise beyond their years, with a value and priority system we should all take note of... very touching 
One of the girls FB page has a memoriam section for friends she has lost.  This hurts my heart for her in a way I cannot describe.
We could all take a lesson from these girls.  We need to start LIVING each day, be more accepting, loving, I mean REALLY loving the people around us and making sure they know they are loved.  Living genuinely, honestly






Everyone of us could take a lesson from this family on how to deal with adversity and life in general.  Three teenagers all effected by mitochondrial disease in some way.  They almost lost their dad this summer when he was hit by a car on his bicycle and was critically injured.  At some point during his recovery there was concern he may not survive, then concern he would never ride a bike a again (his passion)....This week, less than 6 months later against all odds,  he will be riding his bike for the first time since the accident.  This is a family of fighters,  of survivors! 
Standing behind all of them is an amazing woman.  Amidst all of this she has a quiet strength that amazes me, she holds things together, she is kind and caring, an advocate for all.  I stand in awe of the woman who runs his household.    






The remainder of this verse reads:

"When she speaks,
her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness.


She carefully
watches everything in her household and suffers nothing from laziness.


Her children stand
and bless her.  Her husband praises her"









I am very humbled to have had the chance to get to know this family and see them in action. An amazing reminder of how thankful I should be for my health and the health of my family. As well as how ashamed I should be for complaining about aches and pains, when so many people struggle with so much daily.

Be thankful today....for everything
Jeanne    
"The most beautiful people are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.” unknown
This incredible family is a very large part of The Make A Wish Foundation and are continually raising funds for Mito Family and other camps. If you would like to make a difference for them please contact me privately at notmpoppins@yahoo.com
Educate yourself and others about Mitochondrial Disease




 


No comments:

Post a Comment