Why I am here

This blog was started to connect with and keep family and friends up to date on life in Texas as I know it. A place to share my love for this area through photography, history, and stories of this adventure Shaun and I call life.... and what an adventure it is!
Warning: Some or all of this blog may contain nuts or stories of nuts, proceed with caution
Love to y'all

Friday, November 2, 2012

Roasted peanuts

Hi y'all!! I bet you thought I was never coming back didn't you? No excuses, just a crazy month plus a poor attitude equals NO blog posts.

Today Shaun and I went to First Monday Trade Days in Canton, TX. It only takes us about 30 minutes to get to one of the largest open air markets in the United States. How lucky are we?? It is an amazing place to wander, eat fried snickers and shop the treasurers. Today was crazy! I have never seen so many people there. WOW! Shoulder to shoulder.
We wandered a little off the beaten path today to escape some of the people. We ended up WAY out in a field full of "antique" vendors. As we were standing amongst the junk a very familiar scent came floating by. (Not to worry, it was a good scent.). Scent is the most amazing memory trigger. It took me a minute, but I suddenly realized it was peanuts roasting!! I haven't smelled that since I was young. My grandparents lived in Oklahoma in and around peanut and watermelon fields. I remember staying with them in the summers and my grandpa and dad bringing in fresh peanuts and roasting them. That smell almost brought a tear to my eye. It brought back great memories of two great men. Strong quiet men who I miss very much.
I did find that smell and bought some peanuts from the sweetest little man. He was roasting the nuts in two big black belt driven roasters powered by a John Deere motor. Very nostalgic


I mentioned how wonderful the smell was and he offered to "set me up, little girl" in the peanut roasting business. What a sweetie. I thought of hugging him for the sweet memory, but couldn't choke back the tears long enough to explain why a stranger was hugging him over the smell of peanuts.

I did however manage to take a few pics of the "antiques" that lingered in the back corner of Trade Days. Question....what do bubble gum and milkshake machines, a walker, and mailbox have in common? Canton, TX !








It was a great day. I got to spend a beautiful fall day with my favorite guy and relive a memory of two very special men with the smell of peanuts.

It's the simple things that make life perfect

Jeanne


~~All of the photos on this blog are protected by copyright and are the property of Jeanne May and Brick Road Photo. Thank you for not reproducing them without permission.~~ www.brickroadphoto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment