Why I am here

This blog was started to connect with and keep family and friends up to date on life in Texas as I know it. A place to share my love for this area through photography, history, and stories of this adventure Shaun and I call life.... and what an adventure it is!
Warning: Some or all of this blog may contain nuts or stories of nuts, proceed with caution
Love to y'all

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Give A Girl A Camera

Hi y'all

In March I got to spend a little time at The Tyler Azalea Trials with one of my favorite little people and her mom.  Let's be honest,  back yards full of flowers can be pretty boring when you are 4, so I carry an old digital point and shoot camera in my bag.   When I realized Miss J wasn't really "in to" having her picture taken in the flowers, I gave her the camera and showed her how to use it. 
What happened next was AMAZING!  She SAW the world!  She SAW every flower through that viewfinder!  With that camera in her hand, what could have been a boring walk for her through the flowers was an adventure.  She went from flower to flower and would excitedly say "look at this one"  "oh! look at this one" .  

When I have a camera in hand that is how I see and feel about the world but I never expected this excitement from a young child.  It was so exciting to watch, and a reminder that photography is not just taking pictures, it is SEEING the world one frame at a time. Really focusing on our surroundings.    My heart melted when we drove by a home with some of the most amazing tulips and Miss J said    "stop! I need to take a picture!" 


Here she is getting down to get a good shot of the squirrel crossing the sidewalk in front of her.  Does it get any cuter??

Some of her family thinks there is a slight possibility she has watched Miss Jeanne too much.  I was SO proud of her, such a smart girl  *wink*



While we were "shooting" the tulips she asked if she could use my camera.  After reassuring her mom it was OK and taking a deep breath I handed it over. She was very careful and DELIGHTED when she took the picture and it appeared on the screen on the back.   Look closely....she even has my wrist strap around her arm.   I ask you again...does it get any cuter?
 I came away from the day with a great photograph of her sweet face and those amazing tulips, (snapped while she wasn't looking) and an appreciation for that tiny piece of glass known as the viewfinder. 
A wonderful reminder to not just look at the beautiful world God has given us, but to SEE it! 

   
Give a girl a camera.....she will see the world
 
Love y'all
Jeanne
I think a photography class should be a requirement in all educational programs because it makes you see the world rather than just look at it. ~Author Unknown
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment