Why I am here

This blog was started to connect with and keep family and friends up to date on life in Texas as I know it. A place to share my love for this area through photography, history, and stories of this adventure Shaun and I call life.... and what an adventure it is!
Warning: Some or all of this blog may contain nuts or stories of nuts, proceed with caution
Love to y'all

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Route 66

My photo of the day was taken some time in the early 1940's. It is one of my favorite photos of my Grandfather, (my dads dad). I found this photo about 5 years ago when we were moving. I'm not sure where I got it or how it ended up in that box I was unpacking, but it was there. Maybe a little "gift" from my Grandmother. *wink*

The caption under the photo, in my Grandmothers handwriting, said "Our Filling Station" Stroud, Okla Marshall E Johnson (my grandfathers name). What a treasure.

This is their "filling station" in Stroud Oklahoma


That is my Grandfather dressed in white, complete with bow tie and cap, ready to fill'er up with Ethyl for .15. Ethyl...I love that. I remember my dad pulling into a station saying "fill'er up with Ethyl" I also remember him grumbling because it was up to .49 a gallon, that was in the early 70's What would he think now?

The large sign says "You Can Pay More but You Can't Buy Better". In the lower left of the picture is a triangle sign that says "spuds .29 a pack". At first I thought this was advertising potatoes, but potatoes were a lot less than .29 in the 1940's. After a little research I discovered it was advertising cigarettes. I found the label and this advertising page on line.


Fastidious People....My how times have changed


It wasn't until I started researching Stroud and the cigarette label that I found out this filling station was on Historic Route 66! I LOVE the nostalgia that goes with Route 66. Imagine my excitement to find out that my family was actually a part of that!!!

Shaun and I took a trip down Route 66 to Stroud, Oklahoma. The building is not there anymore. However, one of the older townsmen recognized it, and treated us to some wonderful reminiscing. We left a copy of this picture with the Stroud Historical Society. I am happy to say it hangs in the Chamber of Commerce office in Stroud.
I urge you to take a trip down memory lane soon, and remember to never forget where you came from....ever.

AND If you ever get a chance, be sure to....
Get your kicks on Route 66
Jeanne

- Posted using BlogPress from Jeanne's iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment